No one is fond of buying car insurance, in particular when they are paying too much.
Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that the vast majority of car insurance customers renewed their policy with the same company for well over three years, and just under half have never compared rates to find affordable insurance. Consumers in Dunedin could save themselves as much as $1,100 a year by just shopping around, but they just feel it's too hard to save money by comparing rate quotes. Many auto insurance companies compete for your insurance dollar, so it can be very hard to choose a company to find the lowest cost out there.
Auto insurance companies offering competitive rate quotes in Florida
The companies shown below offer free quotes in Florida. If you want the best cheap car insurance in Florida, we suggest you compare several of them in order to find the lowest rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Equinox LT 2WD||$1,232||$616||$103|
|Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 4WD||$1,728||$864||$144|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab Sport 2WD||$1,864||$932||$155|
|Ford Edge SE 2WD||$1,144||$572||$95|
|Ford Escape Limited 4WD||$1,372||$686||$114|
|Ford F-150 XLT Crew Cab 4WD||$1,338||$669||$112|
|Ford Focus SE 2-Dr Coupe||$1,432||$716||$119|
|Ford Fusion SEL AWD 4-Dr Sedan||$1,282||$641||$107|
|Honda Accord EX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,826||$913||$152|
|Honda CR-V EX 2WD||$1,346||$673||$112|
|Honda Civic GX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,192||$596||$99|
|Hyundai Sonata SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,604||$802||$134|
|Mazda 3 S Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$1,250||$625||$104|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,466||$733||$122|
|Toyota Camry Hybrid||$1,612||$806||$134|
|Toyota Corolla S||$1,344||$672||$112|
|Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4WD||$1,080||$540||$90|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data rating is based on married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Florida minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-policy, homeowner, multi-vehicle, and claim-free. Price estimates do not factor in garaging location in Dunedin which can lower or raise coverage rates considerably.
Driving violations and accidents
The example below highlights how speeding tickets and at-fault collisions can affect Nissan Sentra annual premium costs for different age groups. The prices are based on a single female driver, full coverage, $250 deductibles, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Nissan Sentra rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
When comparing car insurance rates, the most common question is which comprehensive and collision deductibles to buy. The comparisons below summarize the costs and benefits between low and high physical damage coverage deductibles. The first set of rates uses a $250 comprehensive and collision deductible and the second data table uses a $1,000 deductible.
Honda Civic rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Civic DX 4-Dr Sedan||$280||$544||$418||$24||$124||$1,415||$118|
|Civic VP 4-Dr Sedan||$280||$640||$418||$24||$124||$1,511||$126|
|Civic LX 4-Dr Sedan||$280||$640||$418||$24||$124||$1,511||$126|
|Civic DX 2-Dr Coupe||$280||$640||$522||$30||$156||$1,653||$138|
|Civic EX 4-Dr Sedan||$280||$640||$418||$24||$124||$1,511||$126|
|Civic LX-S 4-Dr Sedan||$280||$640||$418||$24||$124||$1,511||$126|
|Civic LX 2-Dr Coupe||$280||$736||$522||$30||$156||$1,749||$146|
|Civic EX-L 4-Dr Sedan||$322||$736||$418||$24||$124||$1,649||$137|
|Civic SI 4-Dr Sedan||$322||$736||$418||$24||$124||$1,649||$137|
|Civic EX 2-Dr Coupe||$322||$736||$522||$30||$156||$1,791||$149|
|Civic GX 4-Dr Sedan||$322||$736||$418||$24||$124||$1,649||$137|
|Civic EX-L 2-Dr Coupe||$322||$736||$522||$30||$156||$1,791||$149|
|Civic Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$364||$640||$418||$24||$124||$1,595||$133|
|Civic SI 2-Dr Coupe||$364||$834||$522||$30||$156||$1,931||$161|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Civic DX 4-Dr Sedan||$174||$342||$418||$24||$124||$1,082||$90|
|Civic VP 4-Dr Sedan||$174||$402||$418||$24||$124||$1,142||$95|
|Civic LX 4-Dr Sedan||$174||$402||$418||$24||$124||$1,142||$95|
|Civic DX 2-Dr Coupe||$174||$402||$522||$30||$156||$1,284||$107|
|Civic EX 4-Dr Sedan||$174||$402||$418||$24||$124||$1,142||$95|
|Civic LX-S 4-Dr Sedan||$174||$402||$418||$24||$124||$1,142||$95|
|Civic LX 2-Dr Coupe||$174||$464||$522||$30||$156||$1,346||$112|
|Civic EX-L 4-Dr Sedan||$200||$464||$418||$24||$124||$1,230||$103|
|Civic SI 4-Dr Sedan||$200||$464||$418||$24||$124||$1,230||$103|
|Civic EX 2-Dr Coupe||$200||$464||$522||$30||$156||$1,372||$114|
|Civic GX 4-Dr Sedan||$200||$464||$418||$24||$124||$1,230||$103|
|Civic EX-L 2-Dr Coupe||$200||$464||$522||$30||$156||$1,372||$114|
|Civic Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$224||$402||$418||$24||$124||$1,192||$99|
|Civic SI 2-Dr Coupe||$224||$524||$522||$30||$156||$1,456||$121|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
Prices based on married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and Florida minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, homeowner, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and claim-free. Estimates do not factor in zip code location which can affect insurance rates greatly.
Using the data above, we can ascertain that using a $250 deductible will cost in the ballpark of $33 more each month or $396 every year than requesting the higher $1,000 deductible. Because you would pay $750 more out-of-pocket with a $1,000 deductible as compared to a $250 deductible, if you normally average at least 23 months between claims, you would probably be better off if you decide on a higher deductible.
How to calculate if higher deductibles make sense
|Average monthly premium for $250 deductibles:||$136|
|Average monthly premium for $1,000 deductibles (subtract):||- $103|
|Monthly savings from raising deductible:||$33|
|Difference between deductibles ($1,000 - $250):||$750|
|Divide difference by monthly savings:||$750 / $33|
|Number of months required between physical damage coverage claims in order to save money by choosing the higher deductible||23 months|
An important sidenote is that increasing deductibles to lower your rates results in having to pay to pay more out-of-pocket at claim time. You will want to have some non-essential savings in the event you have to pay more to get your vehicle repaired.
Comparison of full coverage and liability-only policies
The chart below illustrates the comparison of Ford Escape auto insurance costs when comparing full coverage to liability only. The prices are based on no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, married female driver, and no other discounts are factored in.
Ford Escape rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
When to stop buying full coverage
There isn't a steadfast formula that is best for determining when to drop physical damage coverage on your policy, but there is a broad guideline. If the annual cost of having full coverage is about 10% or more of the vehicle's replacement cost less your deductible, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
For example, let's say your Ford Escape book value is $5,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most you would receive is $4,000 after paying your deductible. If you are paying more than $400 annually for comprehensive and collision coverage, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
There are some conditions where eliminating full coverage is not recommended. If you still owe a portion of the original loan, you must maintain physical damage coverage as part of the loan conditions. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should keep full coverage on your policy.
Discounts for lower Dunedin car insurance rates
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, but you might find some hidden discounts that can help lower your rates. Some trigger automatically at the time you complete a quote, but some discounts are required to be inquired about prior to receiving the credit.
- Telematics Discount - Insureds who allow data collection to monitor where and when they drive through the use of a telematics system such as In-Drive from State Farm or Allstate's Drivewise system may get a rate reduction if their driving habits are good.
- Discount for Home Ownership - Simply owning a home may trigger a policy discount on car insurance due to the fact that maintaining a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount - Vehicles with anti-lock braking systems are much safer to drive and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- Pay Early and Save - By paying your policy upfront instead of making monthly payments you can actually save on your bill.
- Anti-theft Discount - Cars, trucks, and SUVs with anti-theft systems can help prevent theft and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
Please keep in mind that some of the credits will not apply to the entire cost. Most cut the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. So despite the fact that it appears you can get free auto insurance, insurance companies wouldn't stay in business.
Large car insurance companies and some of the discounts include:
- Farmers Insurance policyholders can earn discounts including pay in full, electronic funds transfer, multi-car, distant student, and switch companies.
- State Farm offers discounts including accident-free, student away at school, good driver, safe vehicle, Drive Safe & Save, and multiple autos.
- Liberty Mutual may include discounts for preferred payment discount, newly married, teen driver discount, newly retired, multi-policy, good student, and new vehicle discount.
- MetLife may have discounts that include good student, claim-free, good driver, accident-free, and defensive driver.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for multi-vehicle, continuous coverage, good student, homeowner, online quote discount, online signing, and multi-policy.
When comparing rates, check with every prospective company which credits you are entitled to. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not apply in Dunedin. To see a list of car insurance companies that offer multiple discounts in Florida, click this link.
How insurance providers determine car insurance rates
Lots of factors are part of the equation when you quote your car insurance policy. Some factors are common sense such as your driving record, but other criteria are less apparent such as your marital status or your vehicle rating. An important part of buying insurance is that you know the factors that are used to determine your car insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively determines base rates, this allows you to make good choices that can help you get lower premium levels.
- Teenage drivers cost more - Beginning drivers in Florida have a tendency to get distracted easily when behind the wheel so they pay higher car insurance rates. Older, more experienced drivers are proven to be safer behind the wheel, are lower risk to insure, and are generally more financially stable.
- Save money by eliminating extra coverages - There are quite a few optional add-on coverages that may not really be needed if you aren't diligent. Insurance for roadside assistance, towing, and extra equipment coverage are some examples. You may think they are a good idea when buying your policy, but if they're wasting money remove them from your policy.
- Gender and car insurance rates - Statistics show that females tend to be a little less risky than males. However, don't assume that men are worse drivers. Males and females are in at-fault accidents in similar numbers, but men get into accidents with more damage. In addition to higher claims, males also get more serious tickets like DWI (DUI) or reckless driving. Male teenagers are the most expensive to insure and therefore are the most expensive to insure.
- Why do you need liability insurance? - The liability coverage on your policy is the coverage that protects you if ever a jury decides you are liable for damages from an accident. This coverage provides legal defense coverage which can cost a lot. Liability is cheap as compared to coverage for physical damage, so buy as much as you can afford.
- Discounts for married couples - Walking down the aisle can actually save you money compared to being single. Marriage may mean you are more stable financially and statistics show married drivers get in fewer accidents.
Independent or exclusive insurance agents
Many drivers just prefer to get professional advice from a licensed agent and doing that can be a smart decision Professional agents are very good at helping people manage risk and help you file claims. One of the best bonuses of comparing rates online is that you can obtain cheap auto insurance quotes and still have a local agent.
Upon completion of this quick form, your coverage information is instantly submitted to companies in Dunedin that provide free Dunedin car insurance quotes for your coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won't have to contact an agency as quotes are delivered to your email. If for some reason you want to quote rates from a particular provider, feel free to visit that company's website and submit a quote form there.
Picking the best company should include more criteria than just the bottom line cost. These are some questions you should get answers to.
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- Are they giving you every discount you deserve?
- How many companies do they write for?
- If your car is in the repair shop, do you have coverage for a rental car?
- Are aftermarket or OEM parts used to repair vehicles?
- Are claims handled at the agent's location?
If you're trying to find a local Dunedin insurance agent, it's helpful to know the types of insurance agents that you can choose from. Auto insurance agents in Dunedin can be described as either exclusive or independent. Both types of agents can provide auto insurance policies, but it is a good idea to know the difference in how they write coverage because it can impact your selection of an agent.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be exclusive can usually just insure with one company like Farmers Insurance and State Farm. Exclusive agencies are unable to provide rate quotes from other companies so they have to upsell other benefits. Exclusive agents are well trained on sales techniques and that can be a competitive advantage.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Agents of this type can sell policies from many different companies and that gives them the ability to insure through many companies and get the cheapest rates. To transfer your coverage to a different company, they can switch companies in-house and the insured can keep the same agent. When comparison shopping, you will definitely want to check rates from several independent insurance agents so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare.
After receiving answers to your satisfaction for all questions you ask in addition to an acceptable price estimate, you've probably found a car insurance agent that meets the criteria to service your policy.
Persistent drivers can save
We covered a lot of techniques to find cheaper coverage online. It's most important to understand that the more rate quotes you have, the better your comparison will be. You may even discover the lowest car insurance rates come from a smaller regional carrier. They often have lower premium rates on specific markets than the large multi-state companies such as Allstate or State Farm.
When shopping online for insurance, you should never sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In many cases, consumers will sacrifice uninsured motorist or liability limits and learned later they didn't have enough coverage. Your focus should be to purchase plenty of coverage at the best price, but do not skimp to save money.
More detailed insurance information is available in these articles: