Trying to come up with a payment for high-priced car insurance can overdraw your savings account and make it hard to pay other bills. Shopping your coverage around is free and is an excellent way to lower your bills every month.
Astonishing but true, a large majority of drivers kept their coverage with the same car insurance company for more than four years, and almost half have never shopped around. Many drivers in Florida could save themselves up to $1,100 a year by just shopping around, but they assume it's a waste of time to compare other rate quotes. Online insurance companies like State Farm and GEICO constantly bombard you with catchy ads and it is difficult to ignore the flying pigs and cute green geckos and effectively compare rates to find the best deal.
If you have a current auto insurance policy or are just looking to switch companies, follow these tips to get lower rates while maintaining coverages. Locating the most cost-effective auto insurance policy in Cooper City can initially seem challenging. You just have to learn the proper way to quote multiple rates from many different companies online.
Finding a lower price on insurance is actually easier than you may think. All that's required is to take time comparing rates online from several insurance companies.
It's so fast and easy to compare rate quotes online that it replaces the need to spend time driving to insurance agencies in your area. The internet makes this process obsolete unless you prefer the trained advice of a local agency. You can, however, get prices online but have your policy serviced through an agent.
The providers in the list below can provide price comparisons in Cooper City, FL. If your goal is to find cheap auto insurance in Florida, it's highly recommended you visit two to three different companies to get the best price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Colorado LT Crew Cab 2WD||$970||$485||$81|
|Chevrolet Impala LT||$1,274||$637||$106|
|Chevrolet Silverado LT Regular Cab||$1,328||$664||$111|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab SLT 4WD||$1,516||$758||$126|
|Ford Escape XLT 4WD||$1,558||$779||$130|
|Ford F-150 XLT Crew Cab 4WD||$1,340||$670||$112|
|Ford Focus SES 2-Dr Coupe||$1,382||$691||$115|
|GMC Sierra Denali Crew Cab 4WD||$1,862||$931||$155|
|Honda Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,110||$555||$93|
|Honda CR-V LX 2WD||$1,110||$555||$93|
|Honda Civic EX-L 2-Dr Coupe||$1,558||$779||$130|
|Hyundai Elantra SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,520||$760||$127|
|Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4WD 2-Dr||$1,044||$522||$87|
|Mazda 3 S Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$1,184||$592||$99|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 4-Dr Sedan||$1,356||$678||$113|
|Toyota Camry SE||$1,208||$604||$101|
|Toyota Corolla S||$1,400||$700||$117|
|Toyota RAV4 Limited 4WD||$1,120||$560||$93|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices above based on single male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Florida minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-policy, safe-driver, claim-free, and multi-vehicle. Rate information does not factor in Cooper City location which can lower or raise premium rates significantly.
Physical damage deductibles
The chart below illustrates how your choice of deductibles and can affect Kia Optima premium costs for different ages of insureds. The price estimates are based on a married male driver, comp and collision included, and no other discounts are factored in.
Kia Optima rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Yearly auto insurance costs for men versus women
The example below shows the difference between car insurance costs for male and female drivers in Cooper City. The rates are based on no accidents or driving violations, full coverage, $1,000 deductibles, drivers are single, and no discounts are applied on a Nissan Sentra SE-R SPEC V.
Nissan Sentra rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
These discounts can lower your auto insurance quotes
Some insurers don't always publicize all their discounts very clearly, so the list below gives a summary of some of the best known in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits that you can use to lower your rates.
- Telematics Devices - People who choose to allow driving data collection to scrutinize driving habits by using a telematics device in their vehicle like In-Drive from State Farm and Progressive's Snapshot may see discounts if their driving habits are good.
- Passive Restraints - Vehicles equipped with air bags or automatic seat belts may earn rate discounts of up to 25% or more.
- Student Discounts - Getting good grades can earn a discount of 20% or more. Most companies allow this discount until age 25.
- College Student - Any of your kids who attend college more than 100 miles from Cooper City and do not have a car may qualify for this discount.
- Waiver for an Accident - This one is not really a discount per se, but companies like Allstate and Progressive will forgive one accident without the usual rate increase if you have no claims for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Savings for New Vehicles - Adding a new car to your policy can cost up to 25% less since new model year vehicles are generally safer.
- Theft Deterrent System - Cars that have factory anti-theft systems are less likely to be stolen and that can save you a little bit as well.
A quick disclaimer, most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire policy premium. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. So even though it sounds like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, company stockholders wouldn't be very happy.
A list of companies and their offered discounts are detailed below.
- GEICO may have discounts that include military active duty, emergency military deployment, driver training, daytime running lights, and anti-theft.
- Mercury Insurance policyholders can earn discounts including multi-car, location of vehicle, type of vehicle, multi-policy, accident-free, and professional/association.
- Farmers Insurance has discounts for electronic funds transfer, good student, pay in full, distant student, mature driver, multi-car, and bundle discounts.
- Auto-Owners Insurance offers premium reductions for group or association, air bags, multiple vehicles, safe vehicle, multi-policy, paperless, and anti-lock brakes.
- Liberty Mutual may include discounts for new move discount, teen driver discount, new vehicle discount, newly retired, hybrid vehicle, multi-policy, and exclusive group savings.
- SAFECO offers discounts including safe driver, bundle discounts, anti-theft, anti-lock brakes, multi-car, and teen safe driver.
- Progressive may offer discounts for online signing, homeowner, good student, multi-vehicle, online quote discount, and multi-policy.
- USAA includes discounts for defensive driver, vehicle storage, military installation, annual mileage, family discount, safe driver, and loyalty savings.
When comparing rates, check with every insurance company which discounts can lower your rates. Some discounts may not apply to policies in every state.
Good choices result in lower costs
Many things are considered when pricing auto insurance. A few of the factors are predictable like your driving record, but other factors are more obscure such as your marital status or how safe your car is.
- Single drivers may pay more - Having a wife or husband may save some money on your policy. Having a significant other is viewed as being less irresponsible it has been statistically shown that married couples file fewer claims.
- Do safer cars cost less to insure? - Safer cars tend to have lower insurance rates. The safest vehicles help reduce the chance of injuries in an accident and fewer serious injuries means less claims paid and more competitive rates for policyholders.
- Bundle policies to earn discounts - Most auto insurance companies allow better rates for people who carry more than one policy such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. This can amount to ten percent or more. Even with this discount applied, it's always a smart idea to shop around to ensure the best deal.
- High physical damage deductibles reduce rates - Deductibles for physical damage define how much you are required to spend out-of-pocket in the event of a claim. Physical damage protection, also known as collision and other-than-collision, insures against damage to your car. Examples of some claims that would be covered could be rearending another vehicle, damage caused by hail, and having a roll-over accident. The more you pay before a claim is paid (deductible), the bigger discount you will receive.
- Low credit rating equals high rates - A driver's credit history factor in determining what you pay for auto insurance. If your credit is lower than you'd like, you may save money insuring your vehicle by taking the time to improve your credit score. Consumers who have very high credit ratings tend to be less risk to insure than drivers with worse credit.
- Keep policy claims to a minimum - If you tend to file frequent claims, you shouldn't be surprised to get much higher rates or policy non-renewal. Auto insurance companies in Florida give lower rates to insureds who do not file claims often. Auto insurance is designed for claims that you cannot pay yourself.
- Prices go up with performance - The performance of the car you are insuring makes a significant difference in your car insurance bill. Low performance passenger vehicles usually have the lowest rates, but many other things help determine your insurance rates.
- Protect yourself with liability coverage - Your policy's liability coverage will protect you when a jury decides you are liable for damages from an accident. This coverage provides for a legal defense which can be incredibly expensive. Liability insurance is pretty cheap compared to comp and collision, so do not skimp.
Exclusive versus independent car insurance agents
A lot of people would prefer to buy from a licensed agent and that is not a bad decision Experienced insurance agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and help file insurance claims. One of the benefits of getting free rate quotes online is that drivers can save money and get the lowest rates and still have a local agent.
For easy comparison, once you complete this quick form, your coverage information is emailed to local insurance agents who will gladly provide quotes for your auto insurance coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to search for any insurance agencies because quoted prices will be sent directly to you. If you want to get a rate quote from a specific auto insurance provider, feel free to visit that company's website and give them your coverage information.
Deciding on an insurance company shouldn't rely on just a cheap quote. The following questions are important to ask.
- Is coverage determined by price?
- Is the agent properly licensed in Florida?
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
- Does the quote include credit and driving reports?
- Can you get a list of referrals?
- Are aftermarket or OEM parts used to repair vehicles?
- Do clients work directly with the agent or are most inquiries handled by a CSR?
If you're trying to find a reliable agent, there are a couple of different types of agencies and how they function. Insurance agencies in Cooper City can be classified as either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments. Both types of agents can handle auto insurance, but it's worth mentioning why they differ because it can influence the type of agent you choose.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Exclusive insurance agents can only write with one company like Allstate and State Farm. Exclusive agents are unable to provide other company's prices so they have no alternatives for high prices. Exclusive insurance agents are highly trained on their company's products which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
These agents are not limited to a single company and that is an advantage because they can write policies through many companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If you are not satisfied with one company, they simply move your policy to a different company and the insured can keep the same agent.
If you are comparing rate quotes, you will definitely want to contact several independent insurance agents so that you can do a thorough price comparison.
Smaller companies may have the best rates
Florida drivers can't avoid all the ads that promise big savings for switching by companies like State Farm, Allstate and GEICO. All the ads seem to make the promise about savings if you just switch your auto insurance policy to them.
How does every auto insurance company have lower policy pricing? Just pay attention to how they say it.
All the different companies have strict underwriting profiles for the right customer that will not have excessive claims. One example of this type of driver could be a married male, has a clean driving record, and has a high credit rating. A propective insured who matches those parameters will get a cheap rate quote in Cooper City as well as save if they switch.
Consumers who fall short of those standards will probably be forced to pay higher premiums which translates to business going elsewhere. The ads say "people who switch" not "all people who quote" can get the lowest rates when switching. This is how insurance companies can confidently advertise the savings. Because each company has a different risk profile, you really should do a price quote comparison at every renewal. It is impossible to guess the company that will have the best car insurance rates for your profile.
Cheaper car insurance is out there
Some insurance companies do not offer online price quotes and many times these smaller companies provide coverage only through independent insurance agencies. Cost effective car insurance can be found both online and also from your neighborhood Cooper City agents, and you should compare rates from both to have the best rate selection.
You just read a lot of tips how to lower your car insurance auto insurance rates in Cooper City. It's most important to understand that the more you quote Cooper City car insurance, the better likelihood of getting inexpensive Cooper City car insurance quotes. Consumers may even find the most savings is with some of the lesser-known companies. They can often insure niche markets at a lower cost than the large multi-state companies such as Allstate or State Farm.
More detailed car insurance information is located in the articles below:
- Rollover Crash FAQ (iihs.org)
- How Much is Florida Auto Insurance for 16 Year Olds? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for Police Officers in Florida? (FAQ)
- How Much are Florida Car Insurance Rates for Inexperienced Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Immigrants in Florida? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest in Pompano Beach, Florida? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Drivers with Good Credit in Florida? (FAQ)
- How Can I Save Money on Auto Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Car Insurance for Teen Drivers with Divorced Parents (Allstate)
- Insurance Losses by Make and Model (iihs.org)