Want to learn a better way to compare lower-priced insurance rates in Port Orange, FL? Port Orange shoppers have many options when shopping for the best price on car insurance. You can either spend your time struggling with agents trying to get quotes or utilize the internet to get rate quotes. There is a right way and a wrong way to buy insurance and we'll show you the best way to price shop coverage for a and obtain the lowest possible price.
Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that a large majority of drivers have bought insurance from the same company for four years or more, and approximately 38% of consumers have never even compared rates from other companies. Many consumers in Port Orange could save almost $1,100 every year just by getting comparison quotes, but most undervalue the amount of savings they would get if they switched to a cheaper policy.
How your Port Orange rates are determined
Smart consumers have a good feel for a few of the rating criteria that help calculate the price you pay for insurance. If you have a feel for what determines premiums, this enables you to make decisions that will entitle you to better insurance rates. Lots of things are considered when you get a price on insurance. Some factors are common sense such as traffic violations, although others are not as apparent such as your credit history and annual miles driven.
Listed below are some of the factors companies use to determine premiums.
- Do you really need the add-on coverages? - There are a lot of additional coverages that can waste your money if you don't pay attention. Coverages for vanishing deductibles, high-cost glass coverage, and additional equipment coverage may not be needed and are just wasting money. They may seem good when you first buy your policy, but your money might be better spent on other coverage so think about removing them and cutting costs.
- More people means more accidents - Residing in less populated areas of the country can save you money if you are looking for the lowest rates. Fewer people means less chance of accidents. Residents of big cities tend to have more auto accidents and longer commutes to work. Longer commute distances translates into higher accident risk.
- High performance vehicles cost more to insure - The performance of the car you own makes a big difference in determining your rates. The cheapest rates are generally reserved for low performance passenger models, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
- Limits of liability coverage - Liability insurance will provide protection if ever a jury decides you are liable for damages from an accident. It will provide legal defense coverage up to the limits shown on your policy. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap when compared to the cost of physical damage coverage, so drivers should carry high limits.
How to lower your auto insurance cost in Port Orange, Florida
Finding a lower price on insurance is pretty simple and can save money. You just need to invest a few minutes getting comparison quotes from online providers.
The providers in the list below are our best choices to provide comparison quotes in Florida. To buy the best cheap car insurance in Florida, we suggest you visit two to three different companies to find the most affordable auto insurance rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 2WD||$1,432||$716||$119|
|Dodge Grand Caravan Crew||$1,338||$669||$112|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab SLT 4WD||$1,610||$805||$134|
|Ford Escape Limited 4WD||$1,382||$691||$115|
|Ford F-150 XLT Super Cab 2WD||$1,024||$512||$85|
|Ford Focus SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$1,370||$685||$114|
|Ford Fusion SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,372||$686||$114|
|Honda Accord EX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,246||$623||$104|
|Honda CR-V EX 2WD||$1,224||$612||$102|
|Honda Civic EX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,022||$511||$85|
|Honda Odyssey LX||$1,508||$754||$126|
|Hyundai Elantra SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,528||$764||$127|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 4-Dr Sedan||$1,660||$830||$138|
|Nissan Rogue SL 2WD||$1,508||$754||$126|
|Toyota Camry SE||$1,168||$584||$97|
|Toyota Corolla XLE||$1,164||$582||$97|
|Volkswagen Jetta SE 2.5 Station Wagon||$1,242||$621||$104|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices above based on single female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Florida minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, homeowner, claim-free, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle. Premium amounts do not factor in specific location which can change insurance rates noticeably.
Physical damage deductibles: Should you raise them?
The diagram below highlights how deductible choice and can increase or decrease Ford Focus insurance rates for different insured age categories. The information is based on a single female driver, full coverage, and no other discounts are factored in.
Ford Focus rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Age-based auto insurance rates by gender
The chart below shows the comparison of insurance premiums for male and female drivers in Port Orange. Data assumes no violations or claims, full physical damage coverage, $500 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are taken into consideration on a Honda Pilot EX.
Honda Pilot rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Should you raise deductibles?
When comparing auto insurance rates, the most common question is how high should the physical damage deductibles be. The tables below outline the rate differences between high and low coverage deductibles. The first set of rates uses a $100 deductible for comprehensive and collision coverage and the second rate table uses a $500 deductible.
Toyota Camry rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
Price data assumes married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and Florida minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, multi-vehicle, safe-driver, homeowner, and claim-free. Rate quotes do not factor in vehicle garaging location which can decrease or increase price quotes substantially.
Based on these figures, using a $100 deductible costs an average of $30 more each month or $360 a year than choosing the higher $500 deductible. Because you would be required to pay $400 more if you file a claim with a $500 deductible as compared to a $100 deductible, if you normally go at least 13 months between claim filings, you would most likely save money if you opt for a higher deductible.
How to calculate deductible break even point
|Average monthly premium for $100 deductibles:||$143|
|Average monthly premium for $500 deductibles (subtract):||- $113|
|Monthly savings from raising deductible:||$30|
|Difference between deductibles ($500 - $100):||$400|
|Divide difference by monthly savings:||$400 / $30|
|Number of months required between physical damage coverage claims in order to save money by choosing the higher deductible||13 months|
One important note is that higher deductibles means you pay more out-of-pocket when you have a claim. You need to make sure you have enough savings in the event you have to pay the higher deductible in order to repair your vehicle.
Can switching companies really save?
Florida drivers can't avoid all the ads that claim the lowest auto insurance rates from companies such as 21st Century, Allstate and State Farm. They all seem to try to convey promises that you can save if you change your car insurance policy to them.
How does each company charge you less for auto insurance?
Car insurance companies require specific criteria for the type of insured that will most likely be profitable. One example of a profitable customer could be over the age of 40, has never had a policy lapse, and drives less than 5,000 miles a year. Any new insured who matches that profile will get the preferred rates in Port Orange and will probably save money with a new company.
Insureds who cannot meet the ideal profile must pay a higher premium which leads to business not being written. The wording the ads use say "drivers that switch" but not "all drivers who get quotes" save that kind of money. That's why companies can make the claims of big savings. Because each company has a different risk profile, drivers must quote coverage with many companies. It is impossible to predict which car insurance company will be your best fit.
Choosing vehicle insurance is an important decision
Despite the fact that insurance is not cheap in Port Orange, paying for insurance is mandatory in Florida but it also protects more than you think.
- Almost all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to buy specific limits of liability insurance coverage if you don't want to risk a ticket. In Florida these limits are 10/20/10 which means you must have $10,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your vehicle, most banks will require you to carry insurance to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the bank will be required to insure your vehicle at a much higher premium rate and require you to reimburse them the higher price.
- Insurance safeguards both your assets and your vehicle. It will also reimburse you for all forms of medical expenses for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance will also pay for a defense attorney if you cause an accident and are sued. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, comprehensive and collision coverage will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance more than cancel out the cost, especially when you need to use it. Unknowingly, the average driver is overpaying more than $820 a year so compare rates once a year at a minimum to ensure rates are competitive.
Determine discounts on Port Orange auto insurance
Car insurance can cost a lot, but there may be some discounts to reduce the price significantly. Some trigger automatically when you get a quote, but a few must be inquired about prior to getting the savings.
- Bundled Policy Discount - If you can bundle your auto and homeowners insurance with one company they may give you a discount of up to 20% and get you the cheapest Port Orange car insurance.
- Distant College Student Discount - Any of your kids who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from Port Orange and do not take a car to college can receive lower rates.
- No Accidents - Insureds with no claims or accidents get the best auto insurance rates as opposed to drivers who are more careless.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles - Drivers who insure multiple cars or trucks with the same auto insurance company can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Use Seat Belts - Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to wear their seat belts can save 10% or more on medical payment and PIP coverage.
- Telematics Data Discounts - Port Orange drivers who agree to allow their company to track their driving habits by using a telematics device such as Snapshot from Progressive or Drivewise from Allstate might see lower rates if they have good driving habits.
A little disclaimer on discounts, most credits do not apply to the entire policy premium. The majority will only reduce specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. So when the math indicates having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, you aren't that lucky. Any qualifying discounts will bring down your policy premiums.
To locate companies that offer many of these discounts in Port Orange, follow this link.
Insurance agencies near you
Many drivers still like to have an agent's advice and we recommend doing that Good insurance agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and help file insurance claims. One of the benefits of comparing insurance prices online is you may find the best rates and still buy from a local agent.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this quick form, your insurance coverage information gets sent to local insurance agents in Port Orange who will give competitive quotes for your coverage. You don't have to contact any agents since rate quotes are delivered to you. If you wish to get a rate quote from a specific insurance company, feel free to jump over to their website and complete a quote there.
Choosing the best insurer should depend on more than just the premium amount. The answers to these questions are important, too.
- If independent agents, which companies do they recommend?
- How much can you save by raising your physical damage deductibles?
- If your car is totalled, how to they determine the replacement cost?
- Is insurance their full-time profession?
- Do they get extra compensation for selling add-on coverages?
- What is the financial rating for the quoted company?
- Is the agent CPCU or CIC certified?
Auto insurance savings summarized
Throughout this article, we presented some good ideas how to lower your auto insurance rates in Port Orange. The key thing to remember is the more quotes you get, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Consumers may even find the biggest savings come from some of the smallest insurance companies.
The cheapest auto insurance in Port Orange can be bought online in addition to local insurance agencies, and you need to comparison shop both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some insurance companies do not offer online rate quotes and these small insurance companies work with independent insurance agencies.
Drivers switch companies for many reasons like not issuing a premium refund, delays in paying claims, high rates after DUI convictions and an unsatisfactory settlement offer. It doesn't matter why you want to switch finding a new company can be less work than you think.