I can't think of anyone who likes paying for auto insurance, especially when they are aware that the prices are way too high.
Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that most consumers have remained with the same auto insurance company for at least four years, and practically 40% of auto insurance customers have never even compared rates from other companies. With the average auto insurance premium being $2,158, St. Petersburg drivers could save up to $1,100 each year just by getting comparison quotes, but most undervalue the actual amount they would save if they switched.
Because you have many auto insurance companies to choose from, it is very difficult to locate a more affordable insurance company.
You need to do price comparisons every six months because insurance prices are adjusted regularly by insurance companies. Despite the fact that you may have had the best rates on Honda Accord insurance in St. Petersburg a couple years back the chances are good that you can find a lower premium rate today. Block out anything you think you know about auto insurance because you're about to find out how to use the internet to properly buy coverages while reducing your premium.
Locating the best rates in St. Petersburg is really quite simple as long as you have a good starting point. If you are paying for car insurance now, you should be able to get lower rates using the ideas presented in this article. But Florida vehicle owners need to have an understanding of the way companies determine prices.
It's important to know that making a lot of price comparisons will enable you to find the best rates.
The companies in the list below can provide price comparisons in St. Petersburg, FL. To find the best car insurance in Florida, we recommend you compare several of them to find the lowest auto insurance rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan||$268||$548||$400||$24||$120||$1,360||$113|
|Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan||$312||$532||$354||$20||$106||$1,324||$110|
|Accord EX 4-Dr Sedan||$306||$612||$430||$26||$128||$1,502||$125|
|Accord LX-P 4-Dr Sedan||$284||$490||$366||$22||$110||$1,272||$106|
|Accord LX-P 4-Dr Sedan||$280||$446||$354||$20||$106||$1,206||$101|
|Accord EX-L 4-Dr Sedan||$316||$624||$430||$26||$128||$1,524||$127|
|Accord EX 2-Dr Coupe||$358||$788||$636||$38||$190||$2,010||$168|
|Accord LX-S 2-Dr Coupe||$308||$748||$494||$30||$148||$1,728||$144|
|Accord EX-L 2-Dr Coupe||$368||$702||$486||$28||$146||$1,730||$144|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on married male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Florida minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, homeowner, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, and multi-policy. Price estimates do not factor in specific location information which can alter premiums substantially.
Car insurance deductibles
The illustration below demonstrates how deductible levels and can affect Honda Accord yearly insurance costs for different age groups. The premium estimates are based on a married male driver, full physical damage coverage, and no discounts are factored in.
Cost comparison with and without full coverage
The chart below illustrates the difference between Honda Accord annual premium costs when comparing full coverage to liability only. The premiums assume no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, married male driver, and no discounts are applied.
Guidelines for dropping full coverage
There is no definitive rule to exclude full coverage on your policy, but there is a general school of thought. If the yearly cost for physical damage coverage is 10% or more of replacement cost minus your deductible, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let's assume your Honda Accord claim settlement value is $6,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, the most your company would pay you is $5,000 after the deductible is paid. If you are paying over $500 a year for full coverage, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
There are some cases where eliminating full coverage is not a good plan. If you have an outstanding loan on your vehicle, you have to keep full coverage in order to keep the loan. Also, if you don't have enough money to buy a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should keep full coverage in place.
Cut your car insurance rates with discounts
Some providers don't always publicize the complete list of policy discounts very well, so the below list has a few of the more common and the more hidden discounts you could be receiving when you buy St. Petersburg auto insurance online. If you aren't receiving every discount you qualify for, you may be paying too high a price.
- Seat Belt Usage - Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to use a seat belt can save 10% or more on the premium charged for medical payments and/or PIP.
- Passenger Safety Discount - Vehicles with factory air bags or motorized seat belts can receive discounts of 25 to 30%.
- Theft Prevention System - Cars, trucks, and SUVs optioned with advanced anti-theft systems prevent vehicle theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Multi-line Discount - Larger car insurance companies have better car insurance rates if you take out a life insurance policy as well.
- Discount for Good Grades - Excelling in school can get you a discount of up to 25%. This discount can apply well after school through age 25.
- Low Mileage - Low mileage vehicles can qualify you for lower premium rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Accident Forgiveness Coverage - Not a discount per se, but companies like GEICO, Progressive, and Allstate allow you one accident before hitting you with a surcharge as long as you don't have any claims for a specific time period.
- Mature Driver Discount - Seniors are able to get a small decrease in premiums.
- Paperwork-free - Some insurance companies will give you a small discount for buying your policy on your computer.
- Drivers Ed for Students - Require your teen driver to complete a driver education course if it's offered in school.
A little disclaimer on discounts, most credits do not apply to all coverage premiums. Most only reduce individual premiums such as comp or med pay. Even though it may seem like you can get free auto insurance, it just doesn't work that way. But all discounts will lower your car insurance premiums.
Large car insurance companies and the discounts they provide are:
- American Family offers discounts including accident-free, defensive driver, mySafetyValet, TimeAway discount, Steer into Savings, and early bird.
- State Farm includes discounts for accident-free, multiple policy, Steer Clear safe driver discount, anti-theft, and safe vehicle.
- 21st Century may include discounts for air bags, theft prevention, 55 and older, defensive driver, and student driver.
- Travelers policyholders can earn discounts including multi-car, save driver, continuous insurance, hybrid/electric vehicle, student away at school, and home ownership.
- GEICO discounts include driver training, anti-lock brakes, good student, federal employee, multi-policy, defensive driver, and multi-vehicle.
Before purchasing a policy, check with every company the best way to save money. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not apply everywhere. If you would like to choose from a list of companies with discount rates in St. Petersburg, click here to view.
Protect more than your Honda Accord
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Honda Accord in St. Petersburg, maintaining insurance may not be optional for several reasons.
- Just about all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means you are required to buy specific minimum amounts of liability coverage if you don't want to risk a ticket. In Florida these limits are 10/20/10 which means you must have $10,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a loan, it's guaranteed your bank will have a requirement that you have physical damage coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank may insure your Honda at a more expensive rate and require you to pay for the expensive policy.
- Insurance preserves both your assets and your car. It will also pay for many types of medical costs for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. Liability insurance will also pay attorney fees if you are sued as the result of your driving. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance more than offset the price you pay, especially for larger claims. The average driver in Florida overpays more than $855 a year so it's important to compare rates at least once a year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Your car insurance coverage should be tailored to you
When quoting and comparing proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there isn't really a one size fits all plan. Your financial needs are unique.
These are some specific questions may help you determine whether your personal situation will benefit from professional help.
- Does rental coverage apply when I am renting a car?
- Are my company tools covered if they get stolen?
- How much liability coverage do I need in Florida?
- Am I covered if hit by an uninsured driver?
- Should I buy more coverage than the required Florida minimum liability coverage?
- How can I get my company to pay me more for my totalled car?
- What states are considered no-fault?
If you can't answer these questions but you know they apply to you, you might consider talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form.
Buying from car insurance agents
A small number of people just prefer to buy from a local agent and doing that can be a smart decision The biggest benefit of comparing auto insurance online is that you can obtain better rates and also buy local.
After filling out this quick form, the coverage information is emailed to local insurance agents who will give competitive quotes to get your business. You won't even need to visit any agencies since rate quotes are delivered straight to your inbox. You can get cheaper auto insurance rates and a licensed agent to work with. In the event you want to get a rate quote from a specific auto insurance provider, you would need to find their quoting web page and complete a quote there.
Deciding on an company requires you to look at more than just the premium amount. Get answers to these questions too.
- Will one accident increase rates?
- Which insurance companies are they affiliated with?
- Will high miles depreciate repair valuations?
- What kind of financial rating does the company have?
- Do you qualify for any additional discounts?
- If they are an independent agency in St. Petersburg, which companies do they recommend?
- How experiences are they in personal risk management?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
Below are agents in St. Petersburg that may be able to provide price quote information for Honda Accord insurance in St. Petersburg.